The students will investigate the role of preventative health in promoting and maintaining health and wellbeing for individuals and the community.
Children move into small groups of 2 – 3. Each group is responsible for creating a presentation using various media they have available to represent what they have learnt about hydration. Children can use the information provided by the teacher, the booklet or can research in books or the internet to gather further information to complete their presentation.
Content area 1: Defining the focus
These are some examples of blue hat thinking
- What is the subject?
- What are we thinking about?
- What is our goal?
Content area 2: The Facts
These are some examples of white hat thinking
- Water is important to human development because…
- Without water, a human’s body would…
- Water makes up …% of our body
- I do / don’t drink enough water because I…
- I can drink more water by..
- …% of our earth is considered to be drinking water
Content area 3: The positives of drinking water
These are some examples of yellow hat thinking
- List at least 3 benefits of humans drinking water
- Some good things about drinking water over drinking soft drink or juice are …
- Drinking clean, fresh water is the best thing I can drink because…
- I can be a positive influence on other peoples drinking choices by…
Content area 4: Problems associated with humans and water
These are some examples of black hat thinking
- What could stop a person from drinking enough water?
- Why doesn’t everyone on our planet drink the right amount of clean, fresh water?
- When can drinking enough water be difficult?
- What can happen to a person if they don’t drink enough water?
Content area 5: Ways of getting the message across that drinking plenty of water each day is important
These are some examples of green hat thinking
- To whom are you aiming your message (target audience)
- What mode of media would you use to get this message across to that audience?
- What level of language and images will you use, and how will you present your message?
Content area 6: How do you feel about drinking more water and less soft drinks or juice?
These are some examples of red hat thinking
- Is this something that would be hard for you to do? Why? How does that make you feel?
- What is your attitude toward drinking enough water? Has it changed since the beginning of this unit?
Children can extend their learning by undertaking any of these activities:
Extension Activity 1
Using the instructions in the worksheet Filtration System (U1L7-9R1), design a filtration system to create clean, fresh water. Consider what global location you re designing this system for, from where you will get the water, the type of water that you are going to be filtering and what materials you will need to bring this design to life.
Extension Activity 2
Using the instructions in the worksheet Fundraiser (U1L7-9R2) design/plan a fundraiser that will help people to have access to their own clean drinking water. Consider that the way you raise the money needs to be appropriate to the cause.