Sports Skills: Swimming
- Keep your eyes looking directly at the bottom of the pool.
- Keep your neck as long as possible, no wrinkles.
- Fingers must be kept slightly apart to achieve relaxation in the water, this delays the onset of fatigue.
- The pull pattern should resemble the letter S.
- This will be achieved when you have the correct head position and are breathing correctly – swimming is a sport of balance.
- Keep the kick small with a slight bend at the knee and the toes pointed, aiming to keep the action vertical.
- There can be no lifting of the head at all to breathe.
- Turn your head keeping one eye in the water during the breath.
- If you can achieve the above, your body position will be great!
- Blow your air out while taking your strokes.
- Take 4 strokes between each breath.
- If you can’t take 4 strokes without taking a breath, try taking a breath every 2 or 3 strokes, until you are more relaxed and can manage 4.
For more information on swimming visit: