Sports Skills: Netball
- Stand side on to person receiving the ball.
- Have opposite foot to throwing arm at the front.
- Step onto front foot as throwing.
- Watch the flight of the ball and snatch it out of the air with fingers stretched wide.
- Reset the ball on the base of fingers and thumb of shooting hand.
- Use the other hand to support the ball.
- Hold the ball high above head with elbow pointing to the goal.
- Bend knees and elbow and straighten arm in the direction of the goal.
- Use wrist and fingers to flick the ball high.
Player with the ball
- Stretch your arms towards your opponent.
- Stand 0.9m away.
- Leap to intercept or deflect the pass.
Player without the ball
- Stand side on to player so your front arm can be used to defend the ball.
- Keep your legs slightly bent and your hands close to your thighs.
- Shadow your opponent.
- Defender’s feet must be 0.9m away from shooter.
- Raise your arm only when 0.9m distance has been made.
- Try to get your blocking hand as close as possible to the point of release of the ball.
For more information on netball visit: