Sports Skills: Basketball
- Use fingers not palm to control the ball.
- Push ball down to ground and let the ball ease back up into your hand.
- Keep ball below waist height.
- Keep head up and try not to look at the ball.
- Knees stay bent.
- Push the ball out in front on same side of body as dribbling hand.
- Use crossover to change direction while dribbling.
- Lean forward slightly and push the ball across and in front of the body to the other hand.
- Keep the ball low and use a body movement similar to a side step.
Two handed chest pass
- Keep eyes on target and hold the ball with fingers in front of chest.
- Spread fingers and thumbs behind the ball.
- Step forward onto the front foot, aim for receiver’s chest and push the ball forward.
- Follow through with fingers pointing toward target.
Two handed overhead pass
- Grip the ball directly above head with fingers of both hands.
- Stand with one foot in front of the other with weight slightly on your back foot.
- Keep eyes on target (receiver’s chest).
- Transfer weight onto front foot, bring arms forward, snap wrists and release ball.
- Stand side on to the target with weight on back foot.
- Cradle the ball with throwing hand and take it back into the over-arm throwing position.
- Transfer your weight on to the front foot, rotate hips and bring your arm through at head level.
- Bring your arm forwards, snap wrist and release ball.
- Hold the ball with fingers spread around and underneath ball.
- Guide the ball using non-shooting hand on side of ball.
- Keep the ball on same side of the body as shooting hand.
- Feet should be shoulder width apart and bent.
- Push the ball using one smooth action from your chest toward target, using your legs to help push upwards.
- Snap your wrists on release of the ball and follow through with your hand in ‘dead duck’ position.
- Keep your eye on target rather than following flight of the ball.
For more information on basketball visit: